What would hot summer weather be without delicious, refreshing, juicy, sweet watermelon? Watermelon is the perfect summer dessert. But have you ever wondered from where watermelon came from? which country is the largest producer and how many health benefits it has? Read on to learn 40 interesting Watermelon Facts, your favorite summer fruit.
1. The scientific name for watermelon is ‘Citrullus Lanatus’.
2. Watermelon is one of the only foods to be classified as both a vegetable and fruit.
3. Watermelon came from the Kalahari Desert in Africa.
4. Watermelons today come in many varieties, including small watermelons and seedless watermelon.
5. In Japan, farmers grow square watermelons by keeping the young fruit in plastic boxes.
6. Watermelon is related to cucumbers, cantaloupes, pumpkins, and squash.
7. More people eat watermelon in the U.S. than any other nation.
8. The largest watermelon, grown by Chris Kent in 2013, weighed 350.5 pounds.
9. The seedless watermelon was first “invented” over 50 years ago and they aren’t completely seedless. They have thin, tiny, edible seed coats that never developed into seeds.
10. Seedless watermelons were invented about 50 years ago.