Did you know that starfish has no brain and no blood? Starfishes are quite wonderful, they can change genders, produce millions of eggs at once and more. Find more interesting starfish facts in this list.
1. The Starfish is also called Sea Star.
2. On an average, it grows to a length of about 8 inches.
3. Starfish have no brain and no blood.
4. A Starfish in not a fish actually is related to sand dollars and sea urchins.
5. The average lifespan of a Starfish is 35 years.
6. Starfish can weigh up to 11 pounds.
7. There are around 2,000 species of sea star.
8. Starfish do not have bones.
9. Starfish usually have five arms.
10. Starfish’s closest relatives are sand dollars, sea urchins, and sea cucumbers.
11. The Starfish is intensely hard to kill.
12. Starfish can produce glue with their tube feet.
13. The sunflower star is the largest Starfish in the world.
14. Starfish cannot survive in fresh water.
15. They can regenerate lost arms.
16. They move using tube feets, which are located on their underside.
17. Starfish eat with their stomachs.
18. Starfish has an eye spot at the end of each arm.
19. They have two stomachs.
20. Starfish belong to a large group of marine animals called echinoderms.
21. Instead of having eyeballs, starfish has an eye-spots.
22. Starfish has spiny ridges on their skin which is made of calcium carbonate.
23. The female sea star can produce millions of eggs.
24. Patiriella parvivipara is the smallest Starfish in the world.
25. It takes about a year to regenerate their lost arm.
26. Starfish have no teeth.
27. There are many species of starfish that are deadly to humans, such as the crown of thorns, the sun star, the spiny sun star and the leather star.
28. Starfish can reproduce sexually and asexually.
29. Starfish come in many different colors like blue, green, white, red, pink, orange, yellow, brown, purple and black.
30. The largest populations of starfish live in the Indian and Pacific oceans.
31. The Starfish with forty arms is called “Sun Star”.
32. The Starfish is a carnivore who likes to eat clams, shells, and mussels.
33. If caught by a predator, they will drop their arms to escape then grow them back.
34. Starfish can change gender from male to female or female to male at any time.
35. Starfish can be found below 6,000 meters of the ocean surface.
36. The Starfish is sometimes eaten in China, Micronesia, and Japan.
37. The colorful skin helps them camouflaging from their hunters and attackers.
38. Instead of having a backbone, starfish gets its shape from its exoskeleton.
39. The Coscinasterias Calamaria starfish has eleven arms.
40. Starfish doesn’t possess fins, gills and they don’t even move like fish.