Running keeps us healthy and is one the proven sports to help you get lean. On this list of 40 running facts, we go over other interesting information about running, it’s history and more.
1. Running is a high-impact activity, which means it strengthens and remakes bones along with muscles.
2. A long-distance race, completed by running or walking is known as Marathon.
3. Running for just thirty minutes a day boosts a person’s mood, sleep quality and concentration levels.
4. The lifespan of Runners is typically longer than those who do not run.
5. Running helps in maintaining a balanced amount of carbohydrates and sugar in the blood.
6. Running boosts your sex drive because it increases testosterone levels by 15% in men.
7. The average men’s finishing time in U.S. marathons is 4:26.
8. The fastest human foot speed on record is 12.4 m/s seen during a 100-meter sprint.
9. Music can boost your running performance by up to 15%.
10. During the Great Wall of China Marathon, runners have to climb 5,164 steps.
11. Hypertension, popularly known as high blood pressure, can be reduced to a lower level by following a routine of running.
12. We can burn at least 10 calories per minute when running.
13. Over 1 billion pairs of running shoes are sold worldwide each year.
14. Twelve of the world’s top-twenty distance runners are members of the Kalenjin tribe of northwest Kenya.
15. 112 ligaments, 26 bones, 33 joints, nerves, blood vessels and tendons work together when we run.
16. Runners who wear red clothing are more likely to win because a study proved that the color red signals dominance and higher testosterone levels.
17. You can prevent cardiovascular diseases by running according to the American Heart Association.
18. Men run faster than women due to a number of aspects: they have a slightly higher hemoglobin in average and higher levels of sex hormones, more muscle mass and bigger lung capacity.
19. Studies have shown that running works better at lowering your blood pressure levels than drugs and a diet.
20. Researchers from the University of Portsmouth proved that breasts don’t just bounce up and down during running; they move in a 8 pattern.
21. In the United States, there were 44.6 million pairs of running footwear sold in 2012.
22. Running 20 miles per week will increase your chances of living longer.
23. A researcher from the University of Bern analyzed wearing cheap running shoes lowers your risk of injury.
24. The fastest animal on earth is the cheetah with a speed of 110 – 120 km/h.
25. The slowest animal is the garden snail with 047 km/h.
26. Running in cold weather is safer than running on a hot day.
27. The first Olympic Marathon was held in 1886.
28. Sixty percent of runners, listen to music when they run.
29. The average exercise life of a running shoe is 644 km.
30. Bananas are the favorite snack of distance runners.
31. Strides are extremely consistent among professional runners, usually between 185-200 steps per minute!
32. Research proved that running stimulates the immune system to help fight off colds.
33. When we run, our hearts create enough pressure to squirt blood 30 feet.
34. In the late 19th century, running was called “pedestrianism”.
35. The most common running injury is “runner’s knee”.
36. Many runners suffer from black toenails, which is caused by bleeding under the toenails.
37. 3 calories are burned every mile when running a 10 minute per mile pace.
38. It takes 200 muscles to take a step when you run.
39. In 1978, Nike introduced the first women-specific running shoe.
40. Ultrarunning is a smaller set of racers, but growing at a faster than Marathons.