From having the largest distillery in the world and a rain forest without snakes, Puerto Rico is definitely a country to visit. Check out this list of interesting facts about Puerto Rico.
1. The name of Puerto Rico is derived from its abundance of natural resources, especially gold.
2. Puerto Rico is also called the land of the Valiant Lord.
3. San Juan is the most populous city in Puerto Rico.
4. Puerto Rico was first discovered by Christopher Columbus in 1493.
5. Barceloneta in Puerto Rico has the world’s biggest pharmaceutical complex.
6. “Coqui” is a frog that can only be found in Puerto Rico.
7. The current population of Puerto Rico is 3,661,548 as of November 18, 2017.
8. Puerto Rico is the only place that has a tropical rainforest without bears and snakes.
9. The Bacardi rum factory located in San Juan, is the largest rum distillery in the world.
10. Approximately five million people visit San Juan each year.
11. San Juan has the world’s busiest cruise-ship ports.
12. Arroz con Gandules is the national dish of Puerto Rico.
13. Puerto Rico’s main trading partner is the United States.
14. Puerto Rico is famous for three things: Ricky Martin, Recession, and Rum.
15. Puerto Ricans pays no income tax.
16. Puerto Ricans’s official currency is the United States Dollar.
17. Rio De La Plata is the longest river in the Puerto Rico.
18. Cock-fighting is a legal and popular sport in Puerto Rico.
19. Spanish and English are the official languages of Puerto Rico.
20. The total area of Puerto Rico is only 13,791 sq km.
21. Puerto Rico is also home to the world’s largest living reptile, the leatherback sea turtle.
22. Over two hundred caves can be explored at the Rio Camuy Cave Park.
23. Puerto Rico streets are paved with blue cobblestones.
24. Rita Moreno, a Puerto Rican actress is the first person in the world to win an Oscar.
25. The ‘Puerto Rico Trench’ is the deepest point of the Atlantic Ocean & second in the world.
26. San Juan is the capital of Puerto Rico and second oldest city in the America.
27. Playa Quique Bravo in Rincon has the world’s best beach for surfing and windsurfing.
28. The hibiscus is the Puerto Rico’s national flower.
29. The highest point in Puerto Rico is Cerro de Punta at 1,338 m height.
30. Basketball and Boxing are the most popular sports in Puerto Rico.
31. 60% of Puerto Rico is covered with mountains.
32. 99% of the Puerto Rican population is Latino.
33. The Rio Camuy Cave system is the world’s third-largest cave designed by water.
34. The legal drinking age in Puerto Rico is 18.
35. Salta de Dona Juana is a top tourist attraction in the area.
36. They have 5 Miss Universe winners.
37. The Pina Colada was invented at the San Juan Caribe Hilton Hotel bar in 1963.
38. La Fortaleza is the oldest executive mansion in the world.
39. Two of the oldest churches found in America are in San Juan.
40. Puerto Rico has the world’s largest telescope.