Panama is famous for its eponymous canal, its natural attractions like snorkeling tours, gorgeous beaches, great shopping malls, and whitewater rafting. Learn more about Panama in this interesting 40
Panama Facts including the economy, residency, and many more. 1. The Republic of Panama is the official name of Panama.
2. The current President of Panama is Juan Carols Varela.
3. Panama is a country in the southern part of Central America
Media Source 4. Panama has 29,340 square miles of land.
5. Vulcan Baru is the tallest mountain in Panama.
6. The last volcanic eruption in Panama was back in 1550.
Source: Media Source 7.
Spanish is the main language Spoken in Panama. 8. People in Panama can expect to live for 78.93 years.
9. Panama was the first Latin American country to adopt the U.S. currency.
Source: Media Source 10. The Panama railway was built by the United States in 1855.
11. In 1502, Christopher Columbus visited Panama.
12. There are around 500 rivers in Panama.
Source: Media Source 13. On the 28th November 1821, Panama became independent from
Spain. 14. The Panama Canal in Panama connects the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans constructed by
France. 15. On the 15th of August 1914, the Panama Canal was officially opened.
Source: Media Source 16. The Panama canal cost $350 million dollars and it was the the single
most expensive construction project in United States history to that time. 17. The Canal is the main source of revenue for Panama.
18. The Jungle of Panama is home to five species of big cats.
Source: Media Source 19. Geoffroy’s Tamarin, a small monkey, is only found in Panama and
Colombia. 20. The national dish of Panama is Sancocho.
21. Tocumen International Airport of Panama is the largest Airport in Central America.
Source: Media Source 22. Panama celebrates two independence days, the first from Spain in 1821 and the second from Colombia 82 years later in 1903
23. The total population of Panama is around 3.6 million.
24. Panama City is the capital and largest city of Panama.
Source: Media Source 25. An estimated
12,000 workers had died during the construction of the Panama Railway and over 22,000 during the French effort to build a canal. 26. The dry season and the rainy season are the two basic seasons of Panama.
27. Panama Geisha is the most expensive coffee in the world.
Source: Media Source 28. The Panama Hat actually originated in
Ecuador. 29. The official currency of Panama is the Balboa.
30. The Panama Canal contributes $1 billion to the economy of Panama each year.
Source: Media Source 31. Panama is the only place in the world where you can see the sun rise on the Pacific and set on the Atlantic.
Mireya Elisa Moscoso Rodríguez de Arias is Panama’s first female president. 33. The
national flower of Panama is The Flower of the Holy Spirit.
Source: Media Source 34. There is no daylight savings time in Panama.
35. Panama is home to 940 avian species.
36. Harpy Eagle is the National Bird of Panama.
Source: Media Source 37. On
15th August 1519, a Spanish conquistador Pedro Arias Dávila founded the capital city of the Republic of Panama, which is known as Panama City. 38. SS
Ancon was an American cargo and passenger ship that became the first ship to officially transit the Panama Canal in 1914. 39. Darien National Park is a world heritage site in Panama.
Source: Media Source 40.The Real Audiencia of Panama was established in 1538.