Ethiopia is a country located in Eastern Africa and is the second most crowded nation in Africa. Also, did you know is the only country in the world to have a 13 months calendar? Check out and find more interesting Ethiopia Facts on this list.
1. The name “Ethiopia” comes from the Greek words aitho and ops, which together indicate “scorched faces.”
2. Ethiopia is located in the Horn of
Africa. 3. Ethiopia was known as Abyssinia in earlier times.
Source: Media Source 4. Ethiopia is one of the oldest nations on the
Earth founded in 980 B.C. 5. Approximately 80% of Ethiopian women have experienced female genital mutilation/cutting.
6. It is prohibited for a girl or boy a to get married before the age of 18.
Source: Media Source 7. Ethiopians celebrate their new year on September 11th.
8. Ethiopia is the only country in the world with a 13 months calendar.
9. Ethiopia has more than 80 languages spoken within the country.
Source: Media Source 10. Ethiopia and Russia are only two countries in the world that have never been occupied.
11. The Abyssinian cat breed, which originated in Ethiopia, ranks as the 5th most popular pedigreed cat breed in the United States.
12. Ethiopia is the tenth-largest country in Africa.
Source: Media Source 13. Parents and children do not share their last name in Ethiopia.
14. It is considered rude to refuse a cup of coffee in Ethiopia.
15. Ethiopia’s famous drink is a homemade
wine made from honey and a shrub also known as tedj.
Source: Media Source 16. The first gold medal of Africa’s was won by Abebe Bikila in 1960.
17. Camels and donkeys were primarily trained in Ethiopia.
18. Ethiopia is the first Christian state in the world.
Source: Media Source 19.
Italy was conquered two times when it tried to invade Ethiopia. 20. It is the only country in the world to have 13 months in a year.
21. Addis Ababa, the Ethiopian capital, is also the world’s fourth-highest capital city.
Source: Media Source 22. Ethiopia ranks as the fifth poorest country in the world.
23. Amharic is the national language of Ethiopia.
24. Wearing a large disc in the lower lip is considered beautiful in some parts of Ethiopia.
Source: Media Source 25. Children in Ethiopia take their father’s first name as their last name. Parents and children do not share their last name.
26. 70% of the mountains in
Africa are found in Ethiopia. 27. Ethiopia and Russia are the only two countries in the world to have never been occupied.
Source: Media Source 28. The Danakil Depression in Ethiopia is the lowest point on
Earth, 380 feet below sea level. 29. Ethiopia became the first African country to join the League of Nations.
30. Stick fighting is one of the most popular sports among the Surma people of southwest Ethiopia.
Source: Media Source 31. Eating any type of animals on Wednesdays & Fridays are prohibited in Ethiopia.
32. The largest lake in Ethiopia is Lake Tana and is also the source of the Blue Nile River.
33. Wot and Injera are the most common dish in Ethiopia.
Source: Media Source 34. The nominal GDP per capita is $1,900.
35. The Walia Ibex is Ethiopia’s most famous animal.
36. The first hotel in Ethiopia was constructed in 1898, and it is still in operation.
Source: Media Source 37. Ethiopia is mentioned forty times in The Bible.
38. Ethiopian Abebe Bikila was the first
African to win a gold medal in the Olympic Games. 39. Ethiopia’s traditional costumes are Gabbi or Netella which is made of woven cloth.
Source: Media Source 40. Ethiopia is home to 9 UNESCO World Heritage sites, including the holy city of Lalibela.