There is absolutely no doubt that cranberries are a magical fruit. It is packed with antioxidants, fiber, health-supportive and medicinal properties. Ready to learn more about this powerful superfruit and why it’s unique, what are the health benefits and how it can impact your health? Here are the 40 interesting Cranberry Facts you need to know.
1. The name, Cranberry, derives from the German, kraanbere (English translation, craneberry), first named as cranberry in English by the missionary John Eliot in 1647.
2. November 22 is National Cranberry Relish Day.
3. Americans consume 400 million pounds of Cranberries each year.
4. The Cranberry was made the official state berry of Massachusetts in 1994.
5. The Cranberry is one of three fruits native to North America.
6. Cranberry juice contains a chemical that blocks pathogens that cause tooth decay.
7. 90% of all Cranberries are wet harvested.
8. As of 2016, the European Union was the largest importer of American cranberries.
9. The 5 states known for growing Cranberries are Massachusetts, Wisconsin, New Jersey, Oregon, and Washington.
10. Cranberries have small pockets where air seeps into that allows them to float.