The history of basketball is very large one, filled with rich events, legends and changes among the years. We gathered a list of facts and figures about one of the most interesting sports in our list Basketball Facts.
1. Basketball was played by using a soccer ball until 1929.
2. Earlier, The basketball used to be brown in color.
3. When a team shoots the ball into the basket, a goal is scored.
4. Michael Jordan has scored more playoff points than anyone else.
5. The NBA and the BAA were two different basketball associations in 1949.
6. Slam dunks were illegal for almost nine years.
7. Muggsy Bogues was the shortest basketball player.
8. Manute Bol and Gheorghe Muresan were the tallest basketball players.
9. The steel rim of the basket has a diameter of 18 inches and is 10 feet high.
10. Kobe Bryant was only 17 when he entered the NBA.
11. Air Jordan 1 shoes were banned in the NBA.
12. Women’s basketball was added to the Olympics in 1976.
13. The court surface is 94 by 50 feet.
14. In International Basketball Federation rules, the court surface should be around 28 by 15 meters.
15. Basketball was first played on December 21, 1891.
16. Jeremy Lin held the record of the high points scored in their first 3 games.
17. Basketball is played with a ball and a hoop.
18. A basketball team consists of five players.
19. Basketball was invented in 1891 by Jim Naismith.
20. Michael Jordan, a basketball player, is one of the most famous sportsmen on the planet.
21. Cal Hubbard is the only member of the football and basketball hall of fame.
22. Peach baskets were used as the first “hoops”.
23. The first backboards were made of wire.
24. The positions of players in a basketball game are: Point guard, Shooting guard, Small forward, Power forward and Center.
25. Karl Malone holds the record for free throws.
26. Lynette Woodward was the first female Globetrotter basketball team player.
27. Adidas manufactures all the NBA uniforms.
28. Salt Lake City is the smallest city that has an NBA franchise.
29. The average NBA player weighs 220 pounds.
30. The average height of all NBA players is just under 67 inches.
31. Kobe Bryant was the youngest player to start an NBA game.
32. Wang Zhizhi was the first Chinese player to compete in the NBA.
33. The highest-scoring game in NBA history occurred on December 13, 1983.
34. Harlem Globetrotters Corey ‘Thunder’ Law made a shot from 109 feet, 9 inches, setting world record.
35. One of the most superstitious basketball players was Jason Terry.
36. The player with the most scores in a career was Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.
37. The shot clock was invented by Danny Biasone.
38. Ringball, a traditional South African sport that stems from basketball, has been played since 1907.
39. The average NBA player can jump about 28 inches off the ground.
40. The world record for the highest basketball shot is 415 feet high.