Over half of the Amazon rainforest is located in Brazil but also located in other South American countries including Peru, Venezuela, Ecuador, Colombia, Guyana, Bolivia, Suriname and French Guiana. The Amazon Rainforest is responsible for 20% of the Earth oxygen. Find more facts about the Amazon rainforest here.
1. The Amazon Rainforest is located in South America.
2. The Amazon forest extends over 9 territories.
3. Amazon is the largest rainforest in the World.
4. 60% of the Amazon Rainforest is part of Brazil.
5. The Amazon Rainforest covers around 2,720,000 square miles of the Amazon Basin.
6. The Amazon Rainforest covers about 6% of the Earth’s surface.
7. The Amazon rainforest land is not really fertile.
8. There is a 350 member tribe in the Amazon whose language appears to be very profoundly unique.
9. There are around 400 billion trees in the Amazon Rainforest.
10. One-fifth of the world’s bird species lives in the Amazon Rainforest.
11. The Amazon rainforest is hot all year round.
12. Amazonian water lilies leaves can grow over 3 meters in diameter.
13. The Amazon represents more than half of the Earth’s rainforests.
14. The rate of deforestation in Amazon equals to loss of 20 football fields every minute.
15. The trees of the forest are so close that it takes around 10 minutes for the rain to reach the ground.
16. The Amazon rainforest produces around 20% of the Earth’s oxygen.
17. The toucan is the loudest creature in the Amazon forest.
18. The Amazon rainforest is home to the Anaconda.
19. Each year, nearly 2,700 million acres of the rainforest are burned.
20. In the rainforest, 70% of plants are found to have anticancer properties.
21. The butterflies of the Amazon drink tears of Turtle for vital mineral sodium.
22. There is an underground river running below the Amazon, about 4 km underground and almost as long.
23. The Amazon rain forest is a home to 100 of uncontacted tribes.
24. The world’s most dangerous creature is the poison dart frog.
25. If the rainforest was cut down, there will be a loss of 137 species of plants and animals.
26. Even though it has been shrinking, the Amazon is bigger than most countries.
27. The Amazon River is the world’s second largest river.
28. Of the top 8 largest rivers by the volume of water discharge, the Amazon River is bigger than all the others combined.
29. Every year, the Amazon forest receives nine feet of rain.
30. The Amazon forest only receives 2-5% of sunlight because of the dense plants.
31. The Amazon River rises 30-45 ft when the snow melts from the Peruvian Andes.
32. Around 120 drugs derived from the Amazon rainforest.
33. Iquitos, Peru, the largest city in the world located in the Amazon is only accessible by river and air.
34. The largest tribe in the Amazon rainforest is the Yanomani tribe with 20,000 people.
35. 70% of deforestation is induced by cattle ranching.
36. The most common tree in the Amazon rainforest is the Euterpe Precatoria.
37. The Amazon rainforest burning discharges 30% of the carbon emission.
38. If the Amazon Rainforest was a nation, it would be the world’s ninth biggest country.
39. The world’s one-fifth fresh water is found in the Amazon basin.
40. For livelihoods, more than 1.6 billion people depend on the rainforest.